Let me see what happens on <exec>

1) Which class implements <exec>
oata/taskdefs/default.properties:
exec=org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask

2) What happens there (simplified)?
    private Redirector redirector = new Redirector(this);

    public void setOutput(File out) {
        redirector.setOutput(out);
    }

        runExec(prepareExec());
    }

    protected Execute prepareExec() throws BuildException {
        Execute exe = new Execute(createHandler(), createWatchdog());
    }

    protected ExecuteStreamHandler createHandler() throws BuildException {
        return redirector.createHandler();
    }

Personally I had never used the Redirector, but maybe that helps a little...

Jan