Ack!  I am in the final stages of I/O redirection.  In
fact, I was about to commit my changes when I
cross-tested my last test case--transcoding--and found
that it fails on Solaris with Sun JDK 1.4.2, but
passes with Sun JDK 1.2.2.  Does anyone have any
helpful information on this phenomenon?  Input
encoding seems to be okay, but whenever I try to write
output with a particular encoding, the results are not
what I expect.  Often the resulting files are the
wrong size, but sometimes they are the right size with
the wrong content as well.  Obviously since my code is
nowhere accessible I'm not looking for specific help
(yet)... just if anyone knows of any common pitfalls
I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,
Matt