There was some discussion about Costin's classloader task for the 1.6
release:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=106389211508059&w=2

Peter

Rainer Noack wrote:

Hi Ant developers,

After taskdef supports the loaderref attribute, I've written a task that is able to

a) append classpath entries to existing classloaders, b) explicitely create classloaders,
c) put the actual path of a classloader into a property and
d) log a simple report about the currently classloaders.

Currently it supports URLClassLoader and AntClassLoader. It is designed to simply support custom extensions for any arbitrary ClassLoader.
I've posted it some time ago - a little rash (sorry) - to this list.

However, as classpathes can completely managed from inside the build.xml, this task has helped in several projects
1. to avoid the need to either change Ant's default installation by adding or removing jars to or from Ant's lib dir or manage the classpath in the launching script and
2. to avoid classpath-problems with custom tasks (especially if they should - for whatever reason - be used as jars in the same buildfile as they were created).

b) and c) can be used to easily sync other task's classpathes and d) was helpful to debug some classpath problems and understand classloader
behaviour ;-)

When I found a similar Classloader task in Ant's CVS (originally from Costin Manolache), I was wondering that it was never advanced and released.
IMHO, a <classloader> task would be a pretty helpfull extension to the existing alternatives for some usage. Are there reasons for not releasing it?
I would be grateful for a short annotation (found nothing in the list
archive).

Otherwise, I would be proud to contribute the task to Ant if you find it
helpful too.

Regards (and excuse me for the long mail),
Rainer

P.S. Adding this task to the external task list is dissatisfying IMHO,
as it shoots the major advantage (1.) down.