Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

We left it nowhere.

Is true.

I still think my simple <let/> addition to <macrodef/> will solve 90% of the use cases with very low impact across the code. But as anything, people will have to understand when to use it properly and so on.

The patch is there in bugzilla, but I will not apply it unless there is some
support for it
(I have not have the need for local properties myself, so it is not a problem
for me).

As per other approaches to local properties, unless we go and define a real semantic
for them (like any other well design programming language out there) I see they creating
more problems than solutions, in particular in our BC constrained world.

I do not think that the problems are too bad (but I would say that!).

I would like to have the thread-local property implementation, however
there was a lot of discussions about syntax.

As the main use case for local properties is <macrodef> we
could just implement them for macrodefs, and if necessary
extend them later to be the free style properties.

So the syntax would be:
<macrodef name="show_length">
 <attribute name="filename">
 <local-property name="local-prop"/>
 <sequential>
    <length file="@{filename}" property="${local-prop}"/>
    <echo>The length of file '@{filename}' is ${local-prop}</echo>
 </sequential>
</macrodef>

We could implement this as a trial in ant cvs and pull it if there are too many issues.

Peter

Jose Alberto