Hi,

when I added support for -bootclasspath to Jikes, we've already broken
for oldish versions of Jikes.  There are a couple of additional
requests in Bugzilla that ask us to keep track of Jikes improvements,
namely that we use -g:none in the case of debug="false" and also
support -extdirs.

I see the following options to go ahead (names are open for
discussion, of course):

(1) move forward and assume all people use a modern version of jikes - this
    together with a note in WHATSNEW since it would break Ant on older
    jikes installations.

(2) add a new compiler name "oldjikes" and enable the newer features
    only if "jikes" has been chosen instead of "oldjikes" - this
    together with a note in WHATSNEW since it would break Ant on older
    jikes installations.

(3) add a new compiler name "newjikes" and enable the newer features
    only if "newjikes" has been chosen instead of "jikes".

So far I haven't checked which version of jikes added the new
features, version 1.15 (released 2001) on my Linux box does support
-bootclasspath but neither -g:none nor -extdirs.  If it turns out that
those two have been supported for more than a year or two, I'd go for
(1) myself.