Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005, Jesse Glick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Has anyone given thought to when we drop support for running Ant on
JDK 1.2/1.3? These releases are pretty old by now and AFAIK all
major platforms have had a decent 1.4 port for a while.

We still have a customer who rejects to go beyond 1.3 right now.  I'm
talking about a webcenter with tons of legacy Java apps (unfortunately
none written by us).  The risk that one of them breaks is simply too
high.

I still use JDK 1.3 on my Linux box as my day-to-day JDK.

These are just datapoints.  I'd have to support JDK 1.2 and this is
certainly easier to do if your compiler is a JDK 1.2 one, which is
easiest to do if Ant runs on JDK 1.2.  But I can achieve the same with
1.2 support in Ant as well.

The risk with 1.2 is that we dont have the execution environment for regression.

All in all I'm -0.5 on dropping JDK 1.2 for Ant 1.7 and -0.75 on dropping JDK 1.3 for Ant 1.7.

I'm -1 on dropping 1.3 , 0 on 1.2

what is the cost of 1.2 support? The1.1 to 1.2 transition was profound, but things are relatively stable until the 1.4->1.5 transition, as long as you avoid javax.security. I have 1.5 on my desktop, and regularly get cruise control mail that I have checked in a 1.5-ism, even with language level left at 1.4

Personally. I'd be happer dropping Win9x support :)

But note that you can't even run the last JDK 1.2 maintenance
release on a recent Linux distribution, unless you use an obscure
LD_PRELOAD hack (*).

I don't run a /recent/ Linux distro either ;-)

There could be a reason to not drop JDK 1.3 support before FreeBSD has
a decent JDK 1.4 (Apache's infrastructure has some bias towards
FreeBSD).