Matt Benson wrote:
So the rule becomes, "when writing a custom type, IF
you extend DataType, and IF those who program to your
custom type only use addXXX and/or add(Type), then the
refid attribute will be handled for you
automatically."  That's all well and good, but
basically I don't see what it gains us.  In a rewrite
I think it would be possible to have everything a form
of add() or addXXX(), the latter serving only to give
a specific element name to an instantiable type.  But
given the responsibility of supporting all historical
subelement creation patterns I don't see that
reference processing in the core stops authors of new
DataTypes (including us) having to support refid
through code.  I'd love to be wrong, though.

No, you are right, I think. The processing of refs in the types themselves is unfortunate.

Conor