Don Stewart wrote:
As an alternative to directly using the Java 1.5 annotations you could
user the JSR-175 backport of the annotations spec.
Also on codehaus as http://backport175.codehaus.org/

Cheers

Don

yes, except we have to deal with building on OSS javac compilers; I dont think jikes is annotation ready.

the bigger issue with annotations is that their real role is to provide metadata in the .class files, above and beyond the @deprecated markers. We dont need that with ant *today*.

Annotations would make more sense if you could annotate methods to explicitly export them as elements/attributes, or explicitly hide them, more to the point. You could even add extra information about the cardinality of things (like elements must be unique, exclusive, etc.) this would be useful to both docs and dynamically generated schemas. But that is a lot of extra complexity. EJB-land is going that way, as their life is already complex, and java1.5 promises simplicity...

-steve