Kev Jackson wrote:
Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:

Maybe just ioex.printStackTrace()?

I thought it would be better to log to the specific calling task (although getting the error message from the exception makes perfect sense). I seem to recall a complaint about close silent behaviour with a full filesystem and it taking a *long* time to track down the cause of the strange failure, that's the motivation behind the suggestion.

the risk with printing to stdout/stderr is that you have to be 100% sure they are not the output channels we are working with. I think in this case it is mostly likely (given that the stream is being closed), but we do need to be careful.

otherwise, +1 to printing out a message, as diagnostics are always useful.