On Thu, 07 Jul 2005, Kev Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess Stefan will want to wait until kaffe, gjc etc support 1.5
> properly before we move anything.

Not really.  Personally I don't see and going to require 1.5 too soon,
but my reasons are different.

One of our customers runs 1.3 in their "web center".  There is no way
anybody can change that.  They plan on upgrading to 1.4 by the end of
the year.  In theory I could run Ant in a JSDK 5 (or whathever it is
called), but if I run Ant on a JDK 1.3, I can be sure my code is going
to work on their system as well - and doesn't get compiled against
method signatures that have been added post JDK 1.3.

I know that I'm not the only one in a position like this.  If you are
dealing with big companies that are not IT companies in the first
place, you are quite likely to meet very conservative sysadmins.

And then you need to ask yourself what you are going to gain by
dropping support for JDK X.  Which feature of JDK 1.3 would you want
to use that would make our live easier?  Is it worth dropping 1.2
support?  Which feature of 1.4?  Is it worth dropping 1.3 and 1.2
support?

The transition from 1.1 to 1.2 was far more obvious to me.  For
classloader stuff much more than for collections, all in all there was
a lot to gain by the move.  So far I don't see any language feature
after that that would improve Ant's code if only we could use it.

There are certain class library changes - like having a
FileOutputStream constructor that takes a File and a boolean as
arguments - that would be nice to have, but nothing pressing IMHO.