Phil is right Jean. Independently of splitting the code in subsystems, which
is always a good idea, even if you can't do that you can split the compile
of a single source tree into several passes using regular <javac>. This can
even enforce dependencies of the code compiled by the different passes. The
trick is to reset the sourcepath that <javac> normally sets.

I include here an example for reference. Hope this helps. --DD

  <!-- =====================================================
       Compile the java code from src/ into build/classes
    -->
  <target name="-classes">

    <mkdir dir="build/classes/META-INF" />
    <mkdir dir="build/testclasses" />

    <!-- Avoid warning message about memoryMaximumSize being ignored
         when not forking <javac>, and instead specify directly the
         JVM argument only when forking... Convoluted, but works!  -->
    <property name="javac.memoryMaximumSize.true" value="-J-Xmx512m" />
    <property name="javac.memoryMaximumSize.false" value="" />

    <property name="deprecation" value="true" />

    <macrodef name="compile">
      <attribute name="fork" default="false" />
      <attribute name="srcdir" default="src" />
      <attribute name="destdir" default="build/classes" />
      <element name="sources" implicit="true" optional="true" />
      <sequential>
        <javac srcdir="@{srcdir}" source="1.4"
               destdir="@{destdir}" sourcepath=""
               deprecation="${deprecation}" debug="true" verbose="false"
               includeAntRuntime="false" fork="@{fork}">
          <!-- equivalent to <javac ... memoryMaximumSize="512m"> -->
          <compilerarg line="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" />
          <classpath refid="classpath" />
          <sources/>
        </javac>
      </sequential>
    </macrodef>

    <!-- compile FOO first, -->
    <compile fork="true">
      <include name="com/acme/foo/**" />
      <include name="com/acme/app/foo/**" />
    </compile>

    <!-- then BAR, -->
    <compile>
      <include name="com/acme/bar/**" />
      <include name="com/acme/app/bar/**" />
      <include name="com/acme/testing/utils/TestAlgo*.java" />
    </compile>

    <!-- then the package-private tests, -->
    <compile srcdir="test" destdir="build/testclasses" />

    <!-- and finally the examples. -->
    <compile>
      <include name="com/acme/examples/**" />
    </compile>