Steve Loughran wrote:

Why is the onerror default of typedef "fail" and not "failall"?

It was for BC reasons.
i.e. this is the behaviour for 1.5 when resource was used.

Peter

The effect is that a typedef like this
    <typedef resource="checkstyletask.properties"
             uri="antlib:com.puppycrawl.checkstyle"
     />

will warn but not fail if the property file is missing. Surely a missing declaration file is important enough that the default should be "fail the build right now".

proposal
 -we change the "new for ant1.7" default to failall
-we allow for a failuremessage attr that lets you say "add checkstyle to your build via -lib" or whatever.

-steve