Here's my non-committer 2pennies worth...

I think it would be beneficial to refactor Ant for some of the commons-libs (commons-exec for example), I also think it'd be useful for Ant 1.7 to splitoff as many tasks as possible into antlibs. The Antlib idea seems to me to be the best way of refactoring Ant into a component based system where individual tasks can be released without having to release a new version of Ant (the main purpose of Antlibs was this as far as I'm aware).

With the Antlibs in place (assume all SCM related tasks and some others converted to antlibs instead of core/optional), the process of refactoring out commons-XXX libraries I would think would be simpler, not least in tracking and fixing bugs.

You're right when you mention the Jar hell problem, I can imagine that would be a major pain to deal with if ant required commons-xyz and commons-xyz required ant to compile.

Anyway, from me, I think it'd be worthwhile to at least discuss refactoring out common components.

Kev