Hi (Matt ;-),

the design decision to not return directories in FileSet affects the
tasks that want to read files and directories.

If I code a generic task that just uses iterator, I'll never see
directories from FileSet (or any of FileSet's subclasses), instead I
have to check whether I'm dealing with a fileset subclass.

Even worse, there is no way to get the included directories of

<union>
  <fileset dir="A"/>
  <fileset dir="B"/>
</union>

What shall we do?  Return files and directories and let the user
explicitly use a <type> selector would be my preference.