Jesse:

For what it's worth I would be *very* much in favour of a move to separate
task.  In the process you may want to consider constraints that such an
external tasks could (hypothetically) declare within an antlib that would
ensure meaningful error messages from ant if the new task is referenced
without the prerequisites resources.

Cheers, Steve.