On 2 Jun 2006, at 11:37, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Kev Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2 Jun 2006, at 11:16, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

 Object signature alternative.  It is impossible to compile code on
 JDK 1.5 that uses the method and still works on JDK 1.4 - but the
 opposite is also true

This leaves us in a pickle unless we can guarantee that the every
line of code will both compile and run correctly on all JVMs
released since 1.2.  I'm not sure that we can guarantee to this
level of surety.

We simply can't.  Leaving the generics/erasure problem aside, there is
a way to ensure you don't compile against methods that are too new,
but it is painful: start building with JDK 1.2, compile what hasn't
been compiled by building with JDK 1.3, repeat with JDK 1.4 and 1.5.

Well that's physically impossible for my main machine as there isn't a JDK 1.2 for OSX (earliest is 1.3.1 I believe).

The pragmatic way is to assume that (1) nobody complained that Ant
1.6.5 didn't work so JDK 1.4 was fine back then and (2) the unit tests
cover quite a bit of our code so running the unit test suite with JDK
1.2 is supposed to find trouble spots.

So then the 'solution' (for want of a better description) would be simply to compile with the Java5 jdk, but set the source option as 1.4. Then run the junit tests on a 1.2 vm? As I'm assuming that other people will be testing on various os' and vms, there should be adequate coverage of the vms (but I'm also guessing that there will be a tendency for the vms to be skewed towards the newer versions (1.4 +))

Thanks
Kev

--
"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state an intolerable one" - Thomas Paine