You have something that works but will not scale. You know that, don't you?

Absolutely - but then I'm being paid to implement a spec, not to suggest an alternative solution. This is the way it works in the outsourcing/offshoring dev world - we just get a spec and have to implement it regardless of personal feelings or indeed technical merit. When I first started in this business (offshore work) I got into a lot of arguments over stupid specs, it cost me a lot of goodwill with customers, I've learnt to bite my tongue (for the most part), as pissing off your clients is generally a bad idea :)

Scalability aside, the customer just wants something to work (tm) and considered bash to be adequate for the task - it's actually rather scary how much of a duct tape solution this is really, but then I'm enjoying hacking perl and python for a change.

Like I said, puppet and smartfrog. I know, I work on the smartfrog team and am biased, but puppet is nice too.

I suggested smartfrog when we got the project, but the customer wants a very small image (even adding python to the build was considered risky - so there's no way a JVM will get added, we can't even add ruby now :( ). I haven't heard of puppet, but I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can convince the customer - I don't want to re- invent the wheel badly if it's unnecessary!

Kev

--
"Man is truly free only among equally free men" - Michael Bakunin