On 4/23/07, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Peter Reilly wrote:
>> AFAIK it's 1.2.
>>
>> Manual "System Requirements"
>> For the current version of Ant, you will also need a JDK installed on
>> your system, version 1.2 or later required, 1.5 or later strongly
>> recommended. The later the version of Java , the more Ant tasks you get.
>

>> If i remember right we said
>> - build on 1.3
>> - run on 1.2
>
> We need to build the released version of ant on 1.5.
> javac 1.5 (sun's version) does not create a class files
> that are complety compatible on java 1.2 run time
> - see manual/platform.html.
>
> Peter

OK, so we are java1.3+ now. Excellent.

I am not sure that we are java1.3 -
one can still compile ant using jdk 1.3 or jdk 1.2  and get a
version of ant that does not give the silly problem (but lacks
some jdk5 things)
however it is quite difficult to test as one has to spend time
setting up the envirnoment. I know that a number of
ant committers test with 1.2 to enure that it
still compiles and passes the unit tests.

It may be better to offically move to 1.3 for ant 1.7+.

Peter

I have a hard time remembering what is in old versions past java1.4/I
have the 1.4/1.5 split as I still have to target both, and use java 1.6
most places (today I'm getting ant to pass its tests on it)

-steve