The services mechanism was added to the JAR spec in JDK 1.3 or 1.4; Sun
didn't add public classes to use services until JDK 6. Before JDK 6 you
either had to use sun.misc.Service or write your own loader; IIRC there
was also a loader available with one of the optional JDK extensions
(something to do with audio or graphics) that we could use (it wasn't
actually related to the function of the library that it was provided
with).

For my DiagnosticsProvider/VersionProvider patch I wrote a ServiceLoader
class that mimics the API of the supported ServiceLoader class that comes
with JDK 6. I'm still trying to get that patch cleared through IBM legal
though, so I have no idea when I would be able to complete the
contribution.

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IBM WebSphere Application Server