I just wanted to let Jean Louis and Martijn know not to give up hope on the enhancements they'd like to see.

Jean Louis, although the vote was not in favour of the final feature, it was not against it, either. Half the community seemed to think it was a good idea, although they didn't want to volunteer to actually implement it. The other half didn't see the point, but neither were they blocking it.

My point is that if you were to provide an implementation in the sandbox that optionally made references final not just for the augment feature but also from scripting, once people could see the code a vote might very well pass. It is easier to get a vote to adopt code to pass than to get one that requires the creation of code from scratch.

And since many of Martijn's objections would be met with such a feature, he might be willing to help out. Or to work on a better name for the augment feature that could be adopted after the fact.

It is up to you guys, though.