On 08/22/2012 08:50 AM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
Don't understand the encoding issue there, since we are manipulating Strings.

But String's which represent pathnames on an OS which might natively represent pathnames as octet sequences in some encoding. Again I am not sure what the defining example of this problem would be - my former attempts to make Windows deal sanely with non-ASCII filenames from Java failed miserably no matter what I tried, whereas everything "just works" on Linux. Not sure about Macs.

As far I understand, such path reference some file on a remote computer. But
then why the host part of the URI being build is left to null?

Line #3059 (JDK 7) would not be executed for a UNC path because you would have file://server/share/path. Line #3072 (JDK 6) does pass null for host but the "path" starts with "//" so the constructor produces the proper URI in the end. You can check the unit tests if you are interested.

It seems we cannot become "watchers" of jvm bugs, can we?

Not sure. You used to be able to, but I have not managed to do this on bugs.sun.com for years. There has been talk of setting up a public JIRA/Bugzilla/etc. instance for the JDK it keeps on getting delayed, and anyway it is unclear if existing bugs would get migrated automatically.