 From: Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
To: Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>; gudnabr...@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: deprecations

Just had a quick look at Project.
There are a lot of deprecated methods. However
I do not think that most of them are deprecated correctly.
Users of the api should not have to know about implementation
details and changes to implementation - for example the
FileUtils.getFileUtils().

I downloaded the latest svn trunk version of ant-contrib and
compiled it with -Xlint:deprecation. It uses a fair number of ant
deprecated methods.
Most of the issues could be removed. But... it would mean a new
version of ant-contrib
that would not work with old versions of ant (a very common occurrence).

I would suspect that most 3rd party task collections would have similar issues.

A major problem with the ant api is that is it not well specified
and so it is too big - it included nearly all the ant implementation, but
it is probably too late to fix that now.

So, yes I guess I would be opposed.
However for deprecated methods that need to be removed because it would
be impossible to implement with newer and better implementations, I would
have no problem with (perhaps using an implementation that throws
an UnsupportedOperationException("dead api").

Peter