My answers below

2013/8/26 Dridi Boukelmoune <dridi.boukelmo...@zenika.com>

> >> Point 2 : Even if there is no much activity, i suggest to keep backward
> >> compatibility
> >
> > fine for me.
>
> Not necessary from my point of view. My only advice is to avoid legacy
> (or technical debt ;) at such early time.
>
> I was suggesting to keep backward compatibility mainly because easyant is
build by easyant :). Though we need "older" plugins to build the new
easyant and "vice et versa".

> >> Point 3 : By two steps i meant running a global resolve (for all plugins
> >> and buildtypes including transitive ones). And then have a second class
> >> invoked to perform individual import of ant build file by picking them
> from
> >> the ResolveReport.
> >
> > ok I see. This make totally sense.
>
> This is where I'm lost. Actually the whole issue of dependencies
> conflicts between plugins.
>
> Here is the behavior I think I've observed with Maven:
> - maven resolves project dependencies and does a shitty job at
> conflicts resolution
> - maven resolves plugins dependencies one by one and downloads them lazily
> - each plugin is executed with its own classloader, and doesn't care
> about other plugins dependencies
> - I can get a dozen versions of the infamous[1] plexus-utils in a single
> build
>
> My point is, given proper isolation, is it a real issue to have
> different plugins depending on different versions of the same modules
> ?

The main point is to avoid having dozen version of jars :). But we also
have a internal limitation, ant doesn't load a buildfile two times. So if
we have many plugins relying on abstract ones, abstract ones must be
uniquely resolved.

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant