On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2013-12-23, <bugzi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Do we want to distribute the installer systematically with new
> > versions of Ant ?
>
> I wouldn't mind much if it can be created outside of a Mac.  Then again
> we don't ship Windows installers, Debian packages, RPMs ... either.

Currently it does depend on a closed-source tool that ships with OS X, but
if we could replace that, the rest can run anywhere.

The main reason I contributed the .pkg installer logic was that Apple
previously shipped Ant with OS 10.8 and earlier, but they removed it in
10.9.

I think a lot of OS X users have grown to depend on Ant being available,
but I feel requiring them to install Homebrew or other heavyweight package
management systems is a lot to ask. It'd be really nice if we could fill in
the gaps Apple left behind in 10.9.

Ben