MG>please see quick comment below

Subject: Re: ant wrapper script testing
To: dev@ant.apache.org
From: jwadam...@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:53:19 -0400

Things I found out/rediscovered during experiments:

`echo` bash built-in modifies the input (escape interpretation, trailing
newline) and not all versions have options to suppress those behaviors. Using
printf instead to get a "clean" echo.
`sed` on mac does not support group-0 reference, created an extra capture group
and reference that instead
"${var/?/Y/Z}" is a perfect substring replacement for our needs. Is supported
by bash, zsh, and ksh93 but is not supported by the dash (ubuntu) or ksh88
(older AIX?) shells.
`awk` and `sed` will both consume trailing newlines and/or whitespace from the
input. Resolved by padding input value with non-whitespace and strip result
afterwards.
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/ section 2.6.2 of Shell volume
documents ${x%w} ${x#w} expansions
The basic code that seems to work for my on ubuntu+dash+gnu_sed and
mac+bash+bsd_sed (which is the default for those platforms):

    esc_arg="X${arg}X"
    esc_arg="$(printf '%s' "$esc_arg" | sed -e 's@\([$"\\`]\)@\\\1@g')"
    esc_arg="${esc_arg#X}" # posix remove single leading X if present
    esc_arg="${esc_arg%X}" # posix remove single trailing X if present
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
    quoted_arg="\"$esc_arg\""
    ant_exec_args="$ant_exec_args $quoted_arg"

This pattern passes a checkbashisms script cleanly.

Concerns:
is awk or sed a better choice for cross platform consistency

                       did we still need the trailing newline for sed now that
the value is padded? I did not see that as necessary in my testing on either
mac or ubuntu once padded and had removed it.
MG>I *hope* sed utility would read the environment and thus pad 0X0D or
0X0D0x0A depending on implementing OS
The branch name is a bit of a misnomer since I removed the actuall shell
detection, but wanted to leave that commit in the history locally in case we
have reason to adopt that sort of detection.
The trade off is doing ugly'ish zsh/ksh93/bash detection for the benefit of
keeping everything internal and not having the child tools do it.

I have more comments inline
https://github.com/jwadamson/ant-1/blob/shell-detection/src/script/ant as well
as an awk pattern alternative to sed ( commit
c591ade4aa7c19ef7e640ed9759fd95e8c4582d8)

http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/propertyregex.html

MG>there are many of us who would like the above features incorporated a
Xplatform solution invoked from ant
Regards,
Jeff Adamson