Sorry for a roundabout way of getting to the point, but wouldn't the
characters used in matchers be treated in a special way, thus restricting
their use in version strings?

On a related theme, should Ivy support semver ranges [1]? (that would
include >, <, >=, <=, =, ||, &, !, and shorthands [2] *, ^, ~, " - ") There
seems to be at least one Java implementation [3], but it might be too
opinionated about version strings :-)

[1] https://github.com/npm/node-semver
[2] https://nodesource.com/blog/semver-tilde-and-caret
[3] https://github.com/zafarkhaja/jsemver