On 2018-02-07, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:

>> My fear is that if the classpath world stops working then a completely
>> different version of Ant will be required. A version that has to break
>> backwards compatibility in many ways. I'd appreciate anybody trying to
>> assess what would need to change in a pure module world, I know I cannot
>> be the one.

>> Ant plays well with the modularized JDK, we verified that in late 2016
>> before the rules were relaxed in Java9. Turning Ant into a "modular"
>> application in the sense of Java9 modules is a completely different can
>> of worms.

>  I'd like to peek into that can... would you be willing to revise a
> proposal of what classes could be moved around and/or deprecated to
> start with?

Maybe it will be easier to digest if we start at a higher level of what
needs to be changed. I don't think moving classes so we don't have any
split packages anymore will be enough.

I'd expect we'd need to replace all code that deals with classloaders
and replace it with ServiceLoaders if we want to avoid complex startup
scenarios for example. Given there is no interface or base class tasks
or types must implement this may again force us to change this model. Or
maybe I'm just wrong.

If we want a broader audience we may want to change the subject :-)