Github user twogee commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/63

    JAI is dead. It depends on internal classes that are no longer there in
Java 9. I propose dropping JAI API support completely, just like apt or javah.
I don't like the like the idea of shipping dead code for the sake of BWC. If
someone would like to use JAI on Java 8, there is an option of using an older
ant-jai.jar; else,
[jai-imageio-core](https://jai-imageio.github.io/jai-imageio-core/) implements
the lacking functionality (TIFF support). Also, there are
[TwelveMonkeys](https://haraldk.github.io/TwelveMonkeys/) for even more
functionality.

    The task is not deprecated in documentation because it works on Java 8 as
is; perhaps the situation with JAI should be explained once there's an
agreement on how to proceed.

---