Has there been discussion or a bug filed regarding adding tasks to
support jmod and jlink?  Now that there is no longer a separate JRE
and the new method of distributing standalone Java applications
requires jlink, this seems increasingly important.

There is a deprecated jlink task for an ancient tool which may cause a
bit of confusion.

I wasn’t sure whether the code is required to be Java 8 compatible.

If it is not, then the release manager will need to build Ant with
something more recent than Java 8. As long as this still allows to set
the javac -target to 8, this is probably fine.

Ant has included tasks that have been conditional on recent JDKs for a
long time. I.e. we've had tasks that required Java 5 to compile even
back when the base line was Java 1.3.

You can take a look at the build file for 1.8.4 to see how we handled it
back then: https://github.com/apache/ant/blob/rel/1.8.4/build.xml#L174
is the starting point to see how/where we dealt with those classes.

I added a "needs.jdk9+" selector (and added use of it to the conditional-patterns aggregate selector). But bootstrap.sh ignores it and attempts to build all files in the ‘taskdefs’ package, so I never get a chance to see the selector in action.

Should I modify bootstrap.sh and bootstrap.bat to exclude the newer tasks if using a Java version less than 9?

Or am I misunderstanding the goal? Are you suggesting that future versions of Ant should just be built with Java 9 (or later)? If so, that would suggest that the "needs.jdk9+" selector is not needed, right?