Retiring a part of a top level project is much easier than retiring the TLP
itself.
We have created a "process" while archiving EasyAnt & Co:
http://ant.apache.org/processes.html#Retire%20a%20subproject%20or%20component
Basically
* PMC vote for retiring the thing
* make resources read-only (code, mailinglists, issue tracker)
* clear all resources (build jobs)
* make it public (homepage, announcement)

Jan