On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 16:27, Jaikiran Pai <jaiki...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 07/10/21 11:27 am, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:
> > If the goal of 1.10.12 is to be compilable on Java 17,
>
> This 1.10.12 release of Ant (like our previous releases) is a bug fix
> release. Ant 1.10.x require a Java 8+ runtime. This release changes
> nothing on that front. One of the bug fixes in this release is a javadoc
> task fix that is only applicable for Java 17 - that's the only
> "relevance" of Java 17 to this release. Like previous 1.10.x releases we
> have been making sure users and projects using Ant can use Ant to build
> their projects using latest Java versions of their choice.

Apologies, I used "compilable" when I meant "buildable".
More precisely, Ant core cannot run all its unit tests on Java 17 without
optional dependendencies.

> >   shouldn't unit tests
> > for script-related tasks in Ant core be complemented with an assumption
> > that Rhino, Nashorn or Graal JS is around?
>
> I'm not sure what kind of assumption you mean. Is there any specific
> test case you have in mind? Our CI jobs run against various versions of
> Java, including early access releases and even the recently released
> Java 17. None of our tests have shown any relevant failures in these
> releases. If this is more of a general suggestion for our test cases in
> Ant and if this doesn't have an impact on the vote of this release,
> please create a separate thread to discuss that.

Maven (POM) builds should run against a set of JDKs as well to demonstrate
my point.
The assumption should be coded like

assumeNotNull("JavaScript not present", new
ScriptEngineManager().getEngineByName("javascript"));

Gintas