Implicit +1 from me.

-Jaikiran

On 16/06/24 11:40 am, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Hello everyone,

4 years back in 2020, we initiated an vote to EOL 1.9.x release versions of Apache Ant. We didn't receive enough votes at that time to formalize it (which is OK). The last release of Ant 1.9.x release series was back in 2021 and that was a security fix. The Ant 1.9.x branch hasn't seen any recent commits in around 2 years. At the same time the Ant master branch from where we do the 1.10.x release has been active with bug fixes and relatively smaller enhancements. We have been releasing Ant 1.10.x regularly too.

Ant 1.9.x allows Java 5 as a runtime whereas Ant 1.10.x requires Java 8 as the minimal runtime. The support for Java 5 has been the sole reason why the last few times we proposed EOLing 1.9.x, the vote didn't pass. Having said that, I (one of the release managers of Ant) haven't had access to Java 5 for several years now. Plus, Ant 1.9.x doesn't have several of the bug fixes that have gone into Ant 1.10.x since the past several years. The decision to not backport bug fixes from 1.10.x into 1.9.x has been intentional, it not easy to maintain Java 5 compatibility for code changes, plus the development time and testing time for such backports isn't something that we wanted to invest in. So effectively, Ant 1.9.x currently lacks features and fixes when compared to 1.10.x.

Given all this, I would like to officially call for vote to EOL 1.9.x releases. What that would mean is that there won't be any more Ant 1.9.x releases. Ant 1.9.16, the last release in this 1.9.x series, 3 years back, would officially be the last one. If users do want to use that version, they can continue to do so by getting it from the usual Apache Ant download page.

Having EOLed 1.9.x, the Ant team can then solely focus on 1.10.x and that makes it much more simpler to deal with managing the project infrastructure as well as code changes. As usual, please cast your vote by replying to the list.

This vote will close in 72 hours, no earlier than 19 June 2024, 06:30 UTC.

-Jaikiran