Github user HansBrende commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/any23/pull/122

    @lewismc I've implemented a few new things here for the new
`TripleWriterFactory` (what I used to call `FormatWriterFactory`). Most
important of these, in my opinion, being `Settings`, which allows you to
configure writers. (Analogous to rdf4j's `RioSetting` api, but with several
improvements.) The `Settings` capability will be able to replace the existing
solution for ANY23-388 (PR #117 ). Also, we'll finally be able to allow users
to turn off pretty printing if they so choose, or any other configuration
option they desire. (E.g., when we upgrade to rdf4j 2.4.0, we can add a
"hierarchical" settings option for the new hierarchical JSON-LD printing
ability.)

    Then there's the new `TripleFormat` class, analogous to rdf4j's `RDFFormat`
class with a few improvements (one being a "characteristics" flag which allows
a much broader range of boolean characteristics to be specified than the 2 in
`RDFFormat`.)

    I'm also deprecating the `FormatWriter` interface (which is nearly useless
as it stands--and could be replaced in the future with a simple
`AnnotatingDelegatingWriter`) in favor of the new `TripleWriter` interface
(which extends `FormatWriter` for backwards compatibility, but introduces
methods that are more useful).

    Let me know what you think!

---