+1 I had suggested that before and if there is agreement on adding it, then
the packaging part is solved here:

https://github.com/atrato/apex-cli-package

As Justin pointed out, it requires to analyze the bundled dependencies and
potentially add additional NOTICE and LICENSE content.

I'm not in favor of including examples, as it will bloat the download.
Maybe add one example like the pi demo that can be used to test the install?

Malhar examples in general are not ready for binary distribution currently
(they are not published to Maven as part of release). They each need to be
checked for bundled dependencies before they can be distributed in binary
form.

Thomas