We had a discussion a while back, agreed to relegate non-stable and
experimental operators to contrib and also added this to contribution
guidelines. We aexecuted on this and cleaned up the repo by moving
operators deemed non-suitable for production use at that time to contrib.
So I wouldn't say the operators that are at the top level today or the ones
in library are 0.x.x quality. Granted, we may need to do one more pass as
some of the operators may no longer be considered the right implementations
with the advent of the windowed operator.

Since contrib used to be the place that housed operators that required
third party libraries, there are some production quality operators in there
that need to be pulled out into top level modules.

I think we are in agreement that for operators that we consider stable, we
should provide a b/w stub. I would add that we strongly consider creating
the org.apache.apex counterparts of any stable operators that are in
contrib out in top level modules and have the com.datatorrent stubs in
contrib.

For the operators not considered stable, I would prefer we either leave the
current package path as is or if we change the package path then create the
b/w stub as I am not sure how widely they are in use (so, in essence,
preserve semantic versioning). It would be good if there is a followup JIRA
that takes a look at what other operators can be moved to contrib with the
advent of the newer frameworks and understanding.

Thanks