There is no right subject line for this thread because multiple issues were
conflated into a single PR. Furthermore, this discussion should take place
before the work is done, not afterwards. The reviewer of the PR should know
the contribution process and guide the contributor to ensure no effort is
wasted.

The existing Avro operators have basic shortcomings, such as type
support/conversion. I don't know in which applications you use it, perhaps
the code was written under assumptions that happen to work for a specific
scenario, but not in general. It is also OK to have such limitation for
code that lives in contrib, but it needs to be worked on before promoting
it.

The work it takes to make it ready for promotion is more than a "quick
fix". It is totally possible if the contributor is willing to take it up,
but best approached by assessing the scope beforehand and dividing the work
in smaller units that can also be properly reviewed. I could imagine the
following for a useful Avro module:

   - Review operators and make sure they really work in a generic way
   - Add a page of documentation
   - Add example for the new file reader that shows the things that users
   are likely to need: parallel partitioning, how to configure schema

I don't think that additional clutter should be created in the codebase for
"backward compatibility". The operators in contrib are not production ready
and we should not create extra baggage that is only adding to the
confusion. The library as a whole needs the opposite in order to improve:
removal of useless code.

Thomas