Hi

First of all my apologies for voting late. However, I will still do it
since the mail says the vote would remain open for *at least* 72 hours :)
I believe the objective is to do the right things rightly.

Moving to a new version is something that is a part of any product
lifecycle. While doing so, what is taken into account is -

1. What value the proposed changes are adding to the product.
2. Are the changes big enough to warrant a major version change
3. How big a disruption would it cause to the existing users or dependent
products
4. Is enough of a heads up and time given to the users/dependent products
to plan for the changes being introduced

There could be other factors as well, but I think the above are the most
critical ones.

As regards the proposed changes, I don't think they satisfy either of the
above criteria (expect may be #2 - which is a purely engg. decision)

Given the changes proposed,

1. It is going to break the backward compatibility.
2. This is a disruptive change which is going to have existing users plan
for and make changes in their product(s). They cannot move to 4.0 without
making these changes.
3. Don't think enough of a heads up has been giving to achieve what the
users will have to do. As an industry standard, a heads up for at least 2
releases is given before the change happens.

Due to the above reasons, I am voting a -1

Regards,

--
~Milind bee at gee mail dot com