On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't see more complexity in implementing a plugin compared to
> implementing an application. Additionally, for the use case you mention,
> plugin is a better option, as likely the behavior applies not to a single
> application, but all applications in that environment.

It would be developing a plugin in addition to an application as opposed to
doing something directly in the application. Also what they may want to do
may not be general enough or have enough reuse to justify developing a
plugin. Our users typically build applications and not plugins so I would
say most who have this need would not build a plugin but would do this
directly in the application.

> Websocket gateway address is a configuration parameter. A DAG may change
> depending on configuration parameters (presence of a gateway, hadoop
> version/vendor, security being enabled or disabled), but it should not
> change depending whether DAG is populated for a launch or to get an info.

The configuration does not prompt the user to return a different DAG and
even with plugins some kind of configuration hint is needed. There is no
formal definition of what the method should and shouldn't do and attempt to
define the method to only construct a DAG and not do anything else is not
only retrospective but restrictive, for example should I not be able to
connect to a syslog server and log something. What you are saying on the
behavior w.r.t the population of the DAG with varying properties and the
like is good practice. Like I mentioned earlier, users have always had full
control of what they want to do in populateDAG method and what DAG they
want to return and the platform does not particularly care what DAG is
returned. It does not enforce nor rely that DAGs returned by multiple calls
to populateDAG be the same DAG.