Thomas,
I'm not sure what you mean by the user or administrator defining the
default installation. This would be possible in linux/unix, but, from
what I've gathered, there's no way to do this in Windows. OOo 1.1.x
will always trump all other installations (unless there's something I
don't know). Even 2.0 and beyond, how could you do this if multiple
versions were installed in system space?

As far as searching for all installations, in Windows it wouldn't be
too expensive to search for all of the registry keys, would it? Under
linux/unix, I agree that you wouldn't want to search the whole
system. But, you could try to use 'locate', which is used by many
(most?) non-server distributions. In general, it seems weird to be
making calls to external programs, but I believe this is already
being done in the Loader by calling 'which'. You could also easily
search well known locations, such as those used when installing from
rpm.

Looking toward the future, I think it would be prudent if OOo wrote a
file (at least on unix/linux) stating what versions are available and
where that are. Then, Loader could just read that. I think this used
to exist as sversion.ini, but was removed. I assume it was removed
because in theory you don't need this. But in practice, I think you
really do.

Mike

--- Thomas Benisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> are
> > - does Java applications need to be rejarred to benefit from the
> change?
> > - it is enough to adapt this change in the latest OOo builds or
> do we
> > need to patch the 1.1 branch also?
> >
> > Thomas, may be you can shed some light on this? Obviously the
> best
> > solution would just be some modifications for the current build.
> >
> > Kay
> >

> There's no unique way to define the latest installation by using
> the
> version number. The problem is, that we have various products, e.g.
> OpenOffice.org, StarOffice and many others. Nobody knows now,
> if OpenOffice.org 5.0 will be newer than StarOffice 12.
>
> Therefore we decided, that the user or administrator makes the
> decision,
> which office is used by defining the default installation.
> In addition, the current implementation of the loader does only
> find
> the default installation. Therefore it's not possible to choose an
> installation from a list of all installations. There was some
> prototype which tried to find all installations on a system, but
> first of all this prototype did not find all installations and
> second this prototype had very poor performance (e.g. searching
> whole
> disks for a office installation takes time).
>
> Thomas
>

> >> Thanks,
> >> mike

> embedded

> be
> changing
> where _all_

> is not

> particular
> that a
> for
> not
> earlier

> problem,

> For

> guaranteed

> issue in

> 1.1.x

> algorithm. I

> Loader

> should

> fall

> what's

> is

> newer

> that

> pure
> that

> get.

> of

> yet.

> version

> solution
> idea

> but

> is

> been

> 1.1.4

> space,

> com.sun.star.lib.connections.pipe.PipeConnection.createJNI(Native

com.sun.star.lib.connections.pipe.PipeConnection.<init>(PipeConnection.java:156)

com.sun.star.lib.connections.pipe.pipeConnector.connect(pipeConnector.java:171)

> com.sun.star.comp.connections.Connector.connect(Connector.java:172)

com.sun.star.comp.urlresolver.UrlResolver$_UrlResolver.resolve(UrlResolver.java:159)