Hi Tom,

Tom Schindl wrote:
Hi,

keep me up to date about when ooRex-LanguageBinding is released offically.

We should more generally discuss what languages should be avaible on the
snippet-page.

At the moment the following ones are available on the snippet-page:
- OOBasic
- C++
- Java
- Python
- XSL

Others I'm aware of but not on the snippet-page:
- JavaScript
- ooRex

Which languages should we support? Which languages should not be
supported? Should we maybe restructure our snippet-page not seperating
our pages into programming languages but rather task. Jürgen already
said that he'd like to have every snippet in every language.

I think we should concentrate on the most popular and offical languages supported in OO.org. But let us see how many snippets will be contributed for other currrently not supported languages. We can extend the page later as well. And of course having the snippets available in all supported languages would be great and it should be easy for people to get started with any contribution to our snippet collection. How we select the snippets is not so important for me. If we should first select the language and second the functional topic or vice versa. But i think that selecting the language first would be more natural and keeps the follow up pages smaller.

Juergen

I could think about:

+ Office
  + Connect 2 OO-Process
    + Java
    + Python
    + ....
+ Writer
  + Enumerate Paragraphs
    + Java
    + Python
    + ....

This would mean that we resturcture our snippets and collect different
languages in one snippet

-----------------------8<-----------------------
<snippet>
// .... As usual
<answer>

   <listing lang="Java">
   </listing>

   <listing lang="Python">
   </listing>

</answer>

</snippet>
-----------------------8<-----------------------

What do you think about this?

As I'm writing I get the feeling that this would be a great thing to have.

Tom

Rony G. Flatscher wrote:

Hi Tom,

maybe I've missed something and but is ooRex a seperate scripting
language

Yes! ooRexx is opensource and free and available pre-compiled for some
Linuxes, Solaris and Windows; homepage: <http://www.ooRexx.org>. (It is
set up to work with autotools, so building for additional platforms is
possible; there is even an experimental version for MacOS X up and
running ported by René Jansen.)

ooRexx was introduced in opensource and free this spring by the
non-profit SIG "Rexx Language Association", <http://www.rexxla.org>. The
original source-code stems from the professional IBM product "Object
REXX" and was handed over to RexxLA almost a year ago, to create an
opensource version of it; it's licensed under CPL 1.0, which is more
liberal than L|GPL.

The present state for the OOo support is beta, an official announcement
is pending (depends on the finishing of a set of nutshell examples in
form of a Bachelor paper by a student at the Wirtschaftsuniversität
Wien, who has been letting his work proof-read for his English).

The enabling infrastructure is BSF4Rexx (BSF, "Bean Scritping
Framework", cf. <http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf>) which allows Java to
use ooRexx (cf. eg. a brand new introductionary article at
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=418864>,  "Employing
Rexx as a Scripting Language for Java") and the other way round: ooRexx
to use Java. With OOo 2.0 the (Java) scripting framework is used to
plug-in ooRexx (cf.
<http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/bsf4rexx/dist.20050830/tmp/ooRexx4OOo.html>).

and if yes should we add it to our snippet collection.

Yes, that would be great (the language's name should be "ooRexx").

Again, please bear a little bit until the official availability and
support for OOo can be announced.

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: Of course, if there are already questions on OOo and ooRexx, then
please do not hesitate to ask, I will try my best to answer them!