>>> If I give it a filename like "C:\tmp\test\1234.odt", then it produces as
>>> a URL "file:///C:/tmp/test/1234.odt".
>>>

>> That's correct:
>> file:// ... the protocol part
>> / ... root of your filesystem
>>
>>> Is that right?  There are 3 slashes after "file:"; I had thought it
>>> should be "file://C:/tmp/test/1234.odt"
>>

>> This would mean realtive from your actual position which might work on
>> win32 where you have drives but not on *NIX.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Hi Tom
>
> This looks like a bug on the Windows version:
>
> Input: "C:\tmp\test\1234.odt"
> Output from ConvertToURL(): "file:///C:/tmp/test/1234.odt"
>
> There are 3 fwd slashes before the drive specifier, but there should
> only be 2.

Once more this is absolutely correct. Have you ever tried to fill this
url into your Windows-Filesystem-Explorer or even Firefox (which will
correct file://C:/bla.html to file:///C:/bla.html) it works perfectly!

The thrid / only means that you start at the root of your computer urls
only holding file://C:/tmp/test/1234.odt (although working on win32)
means when being strict that you got seach for this tree relative from
your actual working directory! The reason for the third / is that there
are other operating systems who don't have the concept of drives (e.g.
Linux).

> The above is what happens for me on WinXP using 2.0.2 or using most
> recent developer snapshot (from 2006.April.03)
>
> Not sure where to take this from here.  Anybody else?

Nowhere because it's correct ;-)