Laurent Godard wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
>> Just for your infomration. The new toolbar controller enhancements are
>> not a com.sun.star.awt substitution. The implementation is deeply
>> integrated into the Office framework and therefore cannot support the
>> same feature set as low-level awt controls! Most functions are supported
>> or can be added without any problem.
>
> thanks for your precision
> but this sounds odd to me regarding UNO nature and componentization
>
> I'll have a look (m169 just finished downloading) trying to understand
> how it actually works (with an external poor user pow)
> But i think that script coders are expecting to have access to the
> "standard" features and events of such controls and that's why i told
> about the awt controls

Carsten already explained why our concept is more abstract than the AWT.
But there is another reason why we don't expose concrete controls: we
don't want to lose the flexibility to change our UI. As an example, if
OOo would ever want to implement something like the new "ribbon" GUI
from the upcoming MS Office 12 we could do that without any changes in
the other code of OOo, just because there is no code anywhere in OOo
except in the LayoutManager that knows about the concrete build-up of
the UI elements. We only expose what we think belongs to the nature of
the dispatched commands, not how they are visualized. At the end that's
what the Dispatch API (and Carsten's new extensions) is about.

As an example, if your command is assigned to a list of element where
you can choose one and also have a status information about which one
was chosen for the current context the natural representation of this
fact is an element list, so there is an API to exchange list functions.
But we don't expose wether we represent this list as a list box or
something else so that we are free in our current and future(!)
implementations, we only expose the "idea" of a list being part of our
GUI. Think about it in the following way (I again take the example of an
element list):

Your code is assigned to one or more GUI elements that visualize a list
of elements (e.g. strings) and allow to choose one of them. OTOH these
elements expect from your code that it tells them which element should
be taken as the "currently selected" one (if possible). That's the
contract between your code and the GUI. How the elements look (if they
look at all - they could be implemented completely different, e.g. by
assistive technologies, as accoustic controls etc.) and where they are
located is not only unknown to you, it's completely irrelevant. I hope
you can see the benefit of this approach and that you don't loose
anything with it because all essential information is handled through
the abstract communication API(s) laid out by Carsten.

I for myself would have liked to have abstract assignments of commands
to "types" (like "string list", "integer value" etc.) instead of
(button) control names, but Carsten preferred the control names instead
because it looks simpler and less "techy". As it is his "baby" I think
that's okay, but OTOH it seems that it sets wrong expectations.

Best regards,

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.