Hi Andrew,

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
I am writing a section for OOo documentation for publication that describes OOo Extensions (as in, what are they, how to import, and how to activate). The target audience is interested in creating macros using the macro recorder; and I have a lot of text regarding that complete with pictures.

I spent a couple of hours following links and such, but I am still a bit confused. A link to a simple extension that is packaged and ready for activation would be great, preferably with a little readme that says "to install this extension, do ....."

If you care, this is what I have so far.

An extension is a package that can be installed into OpenOffice.org to add new functionality. An extension, which can be written in almost any
or change functionality

programming language, may be very sophisticated or simple. Extensions can be grouped into types:
extension can be node code, e.g. templates, config files (more in the future)

* Calc Add-Ins provide new functionality for Calc, including new functions that act like normal built in functions.

* New components and functionality, which normally include some level of UI integration such as new menus or toolbars.
you have described several different Service Provider Interface (SPI) which are more or less all realized as UNO components. UI integration is realized by the SPI add-on. Add-ons implement the ProtocolHandler service and provide this way the necessary functionality to integrate in the UI (menus, toolbars).

Often the UNO components need further configuration data.

But of course that are all implementation details.

* Data pilots, which can be used directly in Calc.

* Chart Add-Ins with new chart types.

* Linguistic components such as spell checkers.

* Document templates and images.

you can also deploy Basic, Python, Java, JavaScript or BeanShell macro libraries as extension packages.

Although individual extensions may be found in different places, there is an extension repository here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_repository

?? How to import and activate an extension ??
Tools -> Extension Manager -> select My Extensions -> Add...

After the installation you can select an extension and can simply enable or disable it via the Extensions Manager dialog.

Hope this helps a little bit

Juergen