ianmcr wrote:
I'm continuing to work on an export module for generating accessible html. We
currently generate the correct html for simple tables - (ignoring cell
properties such as width/height etc). So each input table must have a
regular structure without merged/split cells.

We now need to handle complex tables containing cells which may have been
merged and/or split in the horizontal/vertical directions. I understand from
the dev guide and a little experimentation that XTableColumns and
XtableColumnSeperators are empty for a complex table. Is there any other
method for determining the width of each cell?

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.
have a look at the work Henrik Just had done with his Writer2Latex <http://www.hj-gym.dk/%7Ehj/writer2latex/> who is the best HTML exporter there is , and !he has solved already your problems :-)