Jonathan Kaye wrote:
Hi again,
I'm now trying to get my head around how objects work in macros. I'm trying
to write a subroutine that will take the contents of a cell and embolden
the text up to a fullstop and leave the rest of the string unchanged.
Borrowing shamelessly from Andrew's excellent manual I've managed to get
this far:
Sub SetBold
  Dim oDoc As Object, oSheet As Object, oCell As Object
  Dim myselection as object
  Dim Position as Integer
  oDoc=ThisComponent
  oSheet=oDoc.Sheets.getByName("Sheet1")
  oCell=oSheet.getCellByposition(0,0) 'A1
   Position = InStr(oCell.getString(), ".") 'This works
   Print Mid(oCell.getString(), 1, Position - 1) 'This works too
   myselection = oCell.Mid(oCell.getString(), 1, Position - 1) 'This doesn't
End Sub

The line beginning "myselection = ..." is obviously wrong. My problem is I
don't know how to relate "myselection" to oCell in such a way that I can
assign properties like fontweight etc. to it and then concatenate the
result with the rest of the string. myselection should be a substring of
oCell from position 1 up to the fullstop but I don't understand how to
create new objects that are substring of existing objects. Can someone
enlighten me?
Have a look at the different macro's you can find under OpenOffice.orgMacros >> Gimmicks >> Gettexts

this must explain how to handle formating etc..

Hope it helps
Fernand
Thanks in advance for the help.
Jonathan