I was toying with adding an extension on to the exported macro save file but hadn't looked into using filters yet, so this is a help!

You should take a look at AndrewBase.odt. I have a very similar example there, where you pass in a boolean to tell it to use "save" or "open".

Also, it initializes the file filters differently. Consider these two functions:

Function OOoBaseFilters()
 OOoBaseFilters() = Array("All Files", "*.*", _
   "OOo Base", "*.odb")
End Function

Function GraphicFilters()
 GraphicFilters() = Array("All Files", "*.*", _
   "Graphic Interchange Format", "*.gif", _
   "Joint Photographic Experts Group", "*.jpg", _
   "Tag Image File Format", "*.tif", _
   "Windows Bit Map", "*.bmp", _
   "Gimp Files", "*.xcf", _
   "Portable Network Graphics", "*.png")
End Function

Notice that this include a description and a file spec. Now, notice how I set the filters

 For i = LBound(sFilters()) To UBound(sFilters()) Step 2
   Dim sFilterName$
   Dim sFilterValue$
   sFilterValue = sFilters(i+1)
   sFilterName = sFilterValue & " - " & sFilters(i)
   oDialog.appendFilter(sFilterName, sFilterValue)
 Next

This uses both the description and the filter (wildcard).

2) I want to use a FilePicker to specify a file to save to, but
it's not possible to specify a file that does not yet exist with
the FilePicker, and I've gone through all the interfaces a
FilePicker has and look at all the dialogs that seem fitting for
this.  I want to be able to either pick an existing file or specify
a new one, the same way it's possible when saving a document for
the first time or when picking "Save As."  For now I have to use a
FolderPicker, get a folder, then ask for the file name with an
InputBox.

Is there some way to get a full path from a FilePicker to a file
that will be created but does not exist yet
Set it as a Save dialog. As an open dialog, you should not be able to
open a non-existing file

set this immediately after creation...

oFileDialog.Initialize(Array(com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.TemplateDescript
ion.FILESAVE_SIMPLE))

Other options for the templates are here:

http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/ui/dialogs/Tem
plateDescription.html

Okay -- that makes sense. I had gone through looking at dialogs and searching the API index under different letters that might have a different FilePicker or FileSavePicker or SaveFilePicker or anything like that and just couldn't find a darned thing!

It works just fine!

Thanks, Andrew.

Hal
Your welcome.