On 3/21/10 11:09 PM, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
Jürgen:

On 21.03.2010 11:06, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:10 PM, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
Hi Ariel,

just a little update. Your hints have helped me indeed. However, the
XPackageManager and related APIs are *not published*, and AFAICT for a
good reason, as digging out pre 2.2 code and comparing it with the
current set of APIs, they have changed (like an "identifier" argument
for removePackage as the first argument and the like).

As I am interested in this corner because of the installation of a
little package, which is functional starting with OOo 2.0, I would not
want myself to restrict to the current set of the unpublished
XPackageManager+related APIs. Rather using the executable "unopkg"
instead.

However, I still appreciate your help a lot (and if there is a way to
buy you a beer or two, then please let me know! :) ).

why not simply using the unopkg command line tool to install your
package. That will work always! The API's will probably change and
improve over time because they are mainly intended for internal use.

with the APIs it is possible to query up-front whether an older version
of a package is installed already, and if so, remove it (intended for an
installation program, which in its course of actions will turn towards
OOo and see whether an older version got installed - by a differnt name!
- etc. - you get the idea, I am sure). Using this API just makes
querying, removing and installing just a breeze, hence the desire to
take advantage of it.
sure but unopkg uninstall older packages as well automatically. As long as you use the same extension identifier this works like a charm. If you change the identifier it is not longer the same package from a technical perspective. If you do so you have to live with the consequences.

If you use the API you have to adapt your installation code more often. If that is fine for you that go ahead with this approach.

unopkg returns 0 or -1 in case of an error when i am not wrong.

With unopkg things become quite cumbersome. In addition, the Windows
version does not allow redirecting stderr and stdout (intending to
redirect stderr to nul, but leave stdout). :(
go ahead and fix it. It's probably an issue with a lower prio

Juergen

---rony