Den 2010-12-01 14:53:01 skrev Clayton <ccorn...@openoffice.org>:

On 12/01/2010 02:38 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
2010/12/1 Johnny Rosenberg:
If I know the name of a directory, let's say ~/MyImages, how can I
easily read the names of all the files in that directory? Let's say
that we will fill an array with all the file names.

I have searched a bit online, but so far I didn't find anything that I
understand… I'll continue searching, though.

He he he… I tried again to search for the answer and this time I found
it almost immediately… At least I think I did:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide/Files_and_Directories_(Runtime_Library)

Seems to be what I am looking for.

Other thoughts about this are still welcome, though.

I'm interested in how useful you find the Basic Guide Wiki page you dug up. Is it missing info? Anything unclear etc? What can be or needs to be improved?

C.

Well, I tried to follow the first example that stores file names, found in a directory, to a variable, but it didn't work. The Dir thing didn't find anything, even though I know there are 52 jpg files in there. I even copied the path name from my file manager. I'm not yet sure why this didn't work, but I have had some thoughts about it:

Maybe I can't use spaces in path names? That's too bad, because I do that all the time. Maybe I entered the path name wrong. The example search "C:\" which isn't relevant to me, since C: is very Windows/DOS specific; I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 and my path looks something like "/home/username/some folder/another folder/yet another folder/".
Maybe my path name is just too long?

Any hints?

--
Kind regards