On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 08:08:54AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 09:31:54PM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >   +dnl
> > >   +dnl APR_DOEXTRA
> > >   +dnl
> > >   +dnl  Handle the use of EXTRA_* variables.
> > >   +dnl  Basically, EXTRA_* vars are added to the
> > >   +dnl  current settings of their "parents". We
> > >   +dnl  can expand as needed. This is ugly
> > >   +dnl
> > >   +AC_DEFUN(APR_DOEXTRA, [
> > >   +  for i in CFLAGS LDFLAGS LIBS
> > >   +  do
> > >   +    eval APR_TMP=\$EXTRA_$i
> > >   +    if test -n "$APR_TMP"; then
> > >   +      eval $i=\"\$$i $APR_TMP\"
> > >   +      eval export $i
> > >   +      eval unset EXTRA_${i}
> > >   +      eval export EXTRA_${i}
> > >   +    fi
> > >   +  done
> > >   +])
> >
> > I see that this came from apr/hints.m4, but I don't understand what it is
> > really doing here. What is this extra magic?
> >
> > AFAIK, all we need to do is set the variables, and that is that. No fancy
> > export or anything.
>
> Unfortunately, as Jim found when he first did this stuff, Autoconf doesn't
> use the EXTRA_* variables, so this is a bit of a hack.

Ah. I think I understand. Wouldn't the above be simpler and more obvious if
we wrote it like:

AC_DEFIN(APR_DOEXTRA, [
  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $EXTRA_CFLAGS"
  EXTRA_CFLAGS=""
  LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS $EXTRA_LDFLAGS"
  EXTRA_LDFLAGS=""
  LIBS="$LIBS $EXTRA_LIBS"
  EXTRA_LIBS=""
])

Presuming the above works as expected, then I'd like to change the code.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/