"Brian Havard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 13 Dec 2000 22:30:22 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >  OS/2 and Win32 logic for reporting getaddrinfo() failures is from existing

           should have been gethostbyaddr() instead of getaddrinfo()

> >  code.  The OS/2 code doesn't look right to me (need to add
> > APR_OS_START_xyz?)
> >  I'm not sure what is needed for pre-BONE BeOS.
>
> Actually, h_error on OS/2 needs to be sorted out somehow as there's
> currently no place for it in apr_error_t space, the only existing use of it
> on OS/2 is wrong. I think we need a standard place for it so OS/2 & Unix
> code can share code without these #ifdefs, maybe somewhere in the
> APR_OS_START_ERROR->APR_OS_START_STATUS range. There's space for 500 codes
> there of which 20 are used.

Another horror to deal with is the set of errors from getaddrinfo().
Not only do they need to be distinguished between errno and h_errno
and APR-specific values, but with glibc the values are negative
(but positive on the other systems I have access to):

/* Error values for `getaddrinfo' function.  */
# define EAI_BADFLAGS   -1      /* Invalid value for `ai_flags' field.  */
# define EAI_NONAME     -2      /* NAME or SERVICE is unknown.  */
# define EAI_AGAIN      -3      /* Temporary failure in name resolution.  */
# define EAI_FAIL       -4      /* Non-recoverable failure in name res.  */
# define EAI_NODATA     -5      /* No address associated with NAME.  */
# define EAI_FAMILY     -6      /* `ai_family' not supported.  */
# define EAI_SOCKTYPE   -7      /* `ai_socktype' not supported.  */
# define EAI_SERVICE    -8      /* SERVICE not supported for `ai_socktype'.  */
# define EAI_ADDRFAMILY -9      /* Address family for NAME not supported.  */
# define EAI_MEMORY     -10     /* Memory allocation failure.  */
# define EAI_SYSTEM     -11     /* System error returned in `errno'.  */

-----cut to the chase-----

I think we should just explicitly define a bunch of APR resolver error
codes and map from h_errno and from getaddrinfo() return codes to
those APR codes directly.  Other ways to handle it use less explicit
games which muddy the error code space for all platforms.

We would need four new APR error codes: APR_ENONAME, APR_ENORECOVERY,
APR_ENODATA, APR_EAFNOSUPPORT.

h_errno

  HOST_NOT_FOUND      -> APR_ENONAME
  TRY_AGAIN           -> APR_EAGAIN?
  NO_RECOVERY         -> APR_ENORECOVERY
  NO_DATA, NO_ADDRESS -> APR_ENODATA

getaddrinfo()

  EAI_BADFLAGS        -> APR_EINVAL?
  EAI_NONAME          -> APR_ENORESNAME
  EAI_AGAIN           -> APR_EAGAIN?
  EAI_FAIL            -> APR_ENORECOVERY
  EAI_NODATA          -> APR_ENODATA
  EAI_FAMILY          -> APR_EAFNOSUPPORT
  EAI_SOCKTYPE        -> APR_EINVAL    (shouldn't be possible for us)
  EAI_ADDRFAMILY      -> APR_EAFNOSUPPORT
  EAI_MEMORY          -> APR_ENOMEM
  EAI_SYSTEM          -> use errno

The Win32 support, which doesn't use h_errno, can continue to use its
current code.

Any thoughts?  I'd like to wrap up the gaping getaddrinfo() hole
before too long.

------my original thoughts...-----

Back to your problem...

As I think you suggest:

#define APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR     APR_OS_START_ERROR + 200

Any system where h_errno is used will return (h_errno +
APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR) and magic will happen.

Back to my problem with this second set of res errors on Unix...

#define APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_MAX   APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR + 50
#define APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_2     APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR + 100

The ugly APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_MAX is because of the ugly glibc use
of negative values for the EAI_ codes.  Something higher than
APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_MAX but less than the next range after
APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_2 is presumed to be one of these second set of
resolver error codes.

Returning an EAI_ code in sa_common.c:

  if ((error = getaddrinfo()) != 0) {
      return APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_2 + error;
  }

Finding the string for an EAI_ code in errorcodes.c:

    if (statcode < APR_OS_START_ERROR) {
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, strerror(statcode));
    }
    else if (statcode < APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR) {
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, apr_error_string(statcode));
    }
    else if (statcode < APR_OS_START_RES_ERROR_MAX) {
#ifdef HAVE_H_ERRNO
        /* it is an h_errno value */
#else
        "APR does not understand this error code"
#endif
    }
    else if (statcode < APR_OS_START_STATUS) {
#ifdef HAVE_GAI_STRERROR
        /* it is a getaddrinfo() error */
#else
        "APR does not understand this error code"
#endif
    }
    else if (statcode < APR_OS_START_USEERR) {
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, apr_error_string(statcode));
    }
    else if (statcode < APR_OS_START_SYSERR) {
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, "APR does not understand this error
code");
    }
    else {
        return apr_os_strerror(buf, bufsize, statcode - APR_OS_START_SYSERR);
    }

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...